2.15.2012

why i teach...

More times that not, teaching can be very challenging.  I know many great teachers who think to themselves on a daily basis, "What am I doing in this profession?" and "Is this job worth the stress?"  I am only in my third year of teaching and I definitely find myself thinking those thoughts from time to time.  I have also chose a field in education that often brings some extremely challenging kids not only because of their low skills, but also the behavior that they have learned over time to deal with their skill level by the time they get to middle school.  

Below is a note that I received from a student who I have taught for three years. 

Mrs. Groettum, 

You are a great teacher.  I love having you as a teacher.  I learned so much being your student and I love how you never give up on me.  You're not only a teacher, but a friend, someone I can talk to.  Thank you for helping me from 6th grade until now.  You're an awesome teacher.  I love you Mrs. Groettum.  

xoxo 
Love, Frances

Frances and many of my other students make it easy for me to answer the questions I have about this profession.  My students are the main reason that I stay where I am at in my career, but it is the little things that they bring to the table that bring me back every day with a smile on my face.  




No comments:

Post a Comment