2.14.2012

more than hearts and candy...

I started writing a status update today on Facebook and realized I wanted to say a lot more than should ever go in that space, so I decided to dedicate a blog post to what I want to say on the 14th of February.  

I have always had a lot more to celebrate on this day than just Valentine's Day.  Think back to the weekend of February 14th in the year 1981 and it has some of the best stories that I never get tired of hearing about.  Three miracles happened within that time that will put my feelings about this day into perspective.  

  First of all, February 14th is my wonderful father's birthday.  In the year 1981, there was a plethora of things to celebrate.  My dad turned 30, there was a big party that was held in his honor, and he won a big game as a basketball coach for a local high school.  I was born two days after his milestone!  He turned 30 that year, which makes us 30 years and 2 days apart in age.  This makes it extremely easy for me to remember how old he is and we always hit milestones in the same year and within days of each other.  So, February 14th is always a day to celebrate my dad, who has shaped so much of who I am and who I love dearly!  



The other event that happened on February 14th in the same year was my grandparents got married.  They decided to do it in a small ceremony at my parents house since they were already visiting for my dad's birthday.  My mom's dad died when she was 16 years old, so my grandpa Tim has always been "the" grandpa in my life.  He adored me and I looked up to their love that was evident in the way they looked at each other when they thought no one was looking.  Unfortunately, my grandpa passed away from Parkinson's two years ago, but I still celebrate the love my grandma and him had for each other on this day.      

Lastly, it has always seemed silly to me to only dedicate one day a year to celebrate love.  I feel like love should be celebrated on a random Wednesday or a special weekend night or any moment that the spirit moves you.  I definitely am a HUGE fan of love, but I just think this day has too many other things for me to celebrate and it can carry a lot of unnecessary pressure for many people whether they are single or attached.  

However, being surrounded by 7th and 8th graders handing out valentines, with huge red balloons flying in the hallways, and stuffed animals being squeezed in excitement has grabbed my attention today.  

There is one more reason for celebration today and that is my amazing, loving husband.  He is my best friend, my confidant, my lover, my shoulder to cry on, my rock...my everything.  I am a better person with him by my side.  From the day we met as young, freshmen in college to now after 3 years of marriage, I love him more and more every day. 


The little thing today is that I actually have a lot to celebrate on this day of love.  Today, my Valentine's are...my dad, my grandma and grandpa's love, and my forever Valentine, Andy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I don't even know what to say. As I am sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks and blurring my vision....I can only say Wow. That is one of the most beautiful things you have ever written. I love where your heart is and you have the most beautiful souls. Happy Valentines Day to the biggest piece of my heart. Thank you for the fond and wonderful memories and recolections.

    ReplyDelete