3.12.2013

I survived! (mostly) unscathed...

I made it through my first day back at work. There were no tears and I actually smiled and meant it. The day was {almost} a complete success.

It is amazing how a job you love can welcome you back after a long absence and can make you feel that you have a professional purpose again. Especially because I thought that I wasn't missing that part of me. All of my co-workers were amazing and welcomed me back with open arms and seemed genuinely happy about my return. My students were also excited, even the ones that are usually "too cool" to show they actually care about a teacher had smiles, some even had hugs.

The day was going perfectly, until...

I totally fell and hurt myself. What?! Really?! Who falls and hurts themselves at work?

Apparently, I do.

I was minding my own business getting some documents at the printer and was on my way to work with some students in their 4th period class. As I was leaving the workroom, I slipped on some water on the floor. It was one of those arms flailing, trying to catch myself from falling, kind of embarrassing falls (in front of an entire 6th grade Science class). The good news is I didn't fall flat on my face. The bad news is that the doorway and my elbow met up to stop my fall. I got my balance and quickly walked out of the room and down the hallway acting like everything was ok. After further assessment and looking at my arm, I realized it was not.

I had already formed a bruise after only a few seconds, so I took a quick detour to the nurse's office to get her opinion of my injury. We put some ice on it and she went over the Workmen's Comp paperwork with me...seriously, I was filling out Workmen's Comp paperwork on my first day back from maternity leave. It is still kind of unbelievable.

Overall, my first day back was awesome despite my injury. I got well wishes from lots of friends and family and also some texts throughout the day from my Dad with pictures of Calvin. All of those things helped me A LOT! I actually remembered how to do my job and fell back into it without missing too many beats.

Best news of the day?

I don't have to work on Friday! So, even though I got hurt and it was sad to not be with Calvin, I think I am going to make it as a working mom...and now there are only 46 days of school until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment